Christy’s expertise lies in the integration of conservation and biodiversity into sustainable natural resource management and facilitating inter-sectoral solutions. Her experience in South Africa has been around community involvement in natural resource protection and sustainable use, conservation communications, awareness raising, environmental policy review and advocacy; environmental management, water governance, and she strongly believes in a holistic, participatory approach to landscape use. Christy has sectoral knowledge in freshwater ecology and research, terrestrial ecology (particularly aridlands), climate change adaptation, environmental and co-operative governance, marine conservation, sustainable use, biodiversity stewardship, and other concepts and issues in community conservation.
Christy is a Cum Laude graduate of the renowned Masters in Science Conservation Biology degree from the University of Cape Town. She is also studying for her PhD in the animal foraging drivers of plant biodiversity in the Bokkeveld Plateau.
Christy has worked in various projects involving water use, sustainable development and conservation. She worked as part of NBL Partners with Green Connection to propose alternative ways to develop the local community in the Tankwa Karoo, been involved in water verification processes, worked as an EIA specialist, worked with climate change adaptation interventions in the Succulent Karoo communities, worked with partners on policy review analyses, won several awards as a conservation Programme Manager and undertaken floral and fauna research in Bushmanland, the Succulent Karoo and Nama-Karoo. She has managed several landscape projects, led award-winning public-private partnership projects for on-the-ground interventions and is researching innovative financing mechanisms for sustainable, value-based landscape management practices.
Despite her environmental-heavy qualifications she believes it all starts with – and is sustained by -people and connections.
Her skills include:
- Alternative livelihood options in disadvantaged communities;
- Strong research background and a diverse array of skills in Conservation Biology;
- Environmental education;
- Climate Change Adaptation;
- Ecological Research, Disturbance ecology;
- Participatory monitoring and evaluation;
- Water governance;
- Environmental policy and law in South Africa;
- Environmental management, including EIA;
- Environmental stewardship;
- Ecosystem based adaptation;
- Ecosystem restoration and sustainable land management;
- Community involvement in conservation;
- Extensive experience in GIS spatial analysis;
- in-depth knowledge of various software packages, such as ArcView, Statistica, multivariate statistical ordination packages, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and several graphics packages.
Publications: (please send Christy a request: firstname.lastname@example.org)